Essential Architecture-  Hanseatic city of Rostock

Convent of the Holy Cross and University Church Rostock

architect

 

location

Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, north-eastern Germany

date

first half of the 14th century

style

Hanseatic Brick Gothic

construction

Brick

type

Monastery Church
 
   
Contact:
Klosterhof, 18055 Rostock
Tel. 0381 20359-0 / -10
Fax 0381 20359-13

opening hours:
10-18 h except on Modays

Entrance fees:
3 Euro, 1 Euro, Fam 4 Euro

the building:
The Monastery of the Holy Cross was founded around 1270 as a convent for Cistercian nuns. The building was constructed in the first half of the 14th century. Following the Reformation, the building complex was used as a home for elderly gentlewomen (from 1562 until 1920), later as a residential complex and as the home for the university’s own nursery school and creche. The generally well-preserved monastery complex between university and old city wall with its church, enclosure and convent buildings can still convey an impression of the original seclusion and independence of the convent. The University Church (Church of the Holy Cross) is a three aisle stepped hall built in the first half of the 14th century in the architectural idiom of the mendicant orders which integrates choir and nave under a single roof. The rich medieval decoration has been largely preserved (with the high altar from the middle of the 15th century, the sacristy from the late 14th century and the triumphal cross). The church is used by the university. Since 1980, the convent buildings have accommodated the Museum for Cultural History. An exhibition about the convent’s history displays some of the monastery’s art treasures. The collections of the museum are presented in permanent displays and a series of constantly changing exhibitions.


links

Special thanks to www.eurob.org
www.essential-architecture.com